Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Got in to Pottermore!


J.K. Rowling is doing a week long trivia contest where the prize is early access to her Pottermore web experience.  Each day a clue pops up for a limited time (usually around 30-45 minutes or however long it takes for 140,000 people to register).

First day = 1st Book / Sorcerer's Stone
Second Day = 2nd Book / Chamber of Secrets
Third Day = 3rd Book / Prisoner of Azkaban
And so on...

I went to bed with my laptop beside me so that I could check if the clue was up without getting out of bed.  The first clue was at 4am (obviously missed that one) and the second was already closed yesterday when I woke up at 8am.

I woke up at 6:27 this morning, hit refresh on the Pottermore website, and BAM!  Day 3 clue was up and not filled!

The question was:

In the Gryffindor versus Slytherin Quidditch match, in Harry’s third year, how many points is Gryffindor leading by before Harry catches the Golden Snitch? Multiply this number by 35.

The answer was: 2100

It took you to the website of the UK Guardian, and an article about Pottermore.  Up in the top right corner was an ad box with the Magical Quill.  You had to wave your mouse beneath the quill to make it levitate and then click on it.

You then filled in all your user information, chose a username from a list of five choices, and set up a password and e-mail.  There was a cute little bit where there they show your name in a book as a "Magical Person" along with the recognizable Potter characters.

I got my brother in, too!  So exciting!

My confirmation e-mail came about an hour after I registered.  Woo hoo!

The whole experience feels very much like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the search for a golden ticket.

So fun!  J.K. Rowling, I love you.  :)

1 comment:

I love discussing books and writing with people, so thank you for taking the time to comment!

If you leave a link to your blog, I will always try to comment back :)