Thursday, May 17, 2012

Book Review: The Adoration of Jenna Fox

The Adoration of Jenna Fox
by Mary E. Pearson
Purchased/Paperback
Genre: Science Fiction
Big Themes: Medicine, Technology, Science, Parental Love, Humanity, Friendship, Loyalty, Identity
***Grad School Text***

Summary: Jenna Fox wakes from a coma after a car accident with no memory of who she is. Is she the same Jenna Fox as before? Who was Jenna Fox? Why does her grandmother treat her like a stranger?  Where are her friends? Why are her parents so worried and cautious?

What I Liked:
EVERYTHING
I went into this book knowing very little.  I knew it was classified as science fiction.  And I knew what I'd read on the book jacket.  And I knew people loved it.  I'm so glad that's all I knew because it was a joy of a discovery.  So I won't say much to spoil the book because if you haven't read it, you need to.

The characters are beautifully captured and real.  The science fiction elements are plausible and well woven.  The plot has excellent surprises and twists, but when you look back, all the hints and foreshadowing were carefully laid by the author.  Much like the cover, the book is a satisfying puzzle coming together.

This book would make an excellent book club selection (especially for a mother/daughter book club) and would foster great discussion.  I can't wait to discuss it in class this summer!

Disliked?  Probably nothing.

My Rating: Five big beautiful stars for Jenna Fox.  Read it.

10 comments:

  1. Well, you have me sold...

    I'll be adding this to my Need to Read list ASAP... Stop giving me so much stuff to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a short one if that's any consolation :P

      Delete
  2. Ooooh! Haven't heard of this one but it sounds super interesting and unique. Don't think I've seen one like this before. And since you like it I might have to check it out...

    Renae @ Respiring Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It came out in 2008, so maybe that's why you haven't heard of it. It was on my reading list for one of my classes this summer, and I'm so glad I discovered it!

      Delete
  3. I think I know the big twist at the end, but I still want to read it! It looks so fun! I'm glad to hear you liked it. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel as well.

    Dude, the Gaithersburg book festival looks AWESOME!! And I would totally go if I weren't throwing my sister a baby shower today! Sorry I've been mia... barely been on the computer much the last few days. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw the sequel in bookstores!

      And the G'burg Book Fest is the weekend before Memorial Day weekend every year, so mark your calendar for next year! It's a great small event where you really get to talk with the authors. Hope your baby shower went well :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, high praise! I love mysteries and sci fi, especially if they are well done and plausible, so it's really encouraging to read your review! I'll have to check this one out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol! "What I Liked: EVERYTHING"

    I love going into a book without knowing much. Which is probably why I'm such a weirdo when it comes to spoilers. And I got this book not too long ago and I really want to read it so thanks so much for your spoiler-free review!

    Okay, after reading your review I'm going to walk over.... wait... let me just do it right now... Okay, I just took it off my shelf where it was all nice and in alphabetical order (because I have way too many books I haven't read on my shelves to have them NOT shelved) and put it in my actual TBR pile. I won't be able to get to it real soon, but it's more important now. ;)

    Great review, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very quick read, and I loved the ethical and philosophical questions the story brought up. Hope you like it!

      And man, I'd never have the patience to alphabetize my books! Go you!

      Delete

I love discussing books and writing with people, so thank you for taking the time to comment!

If you leave a link to your blog, I will always try to comment back :)